Monday, May 3, 2010

Girls Altering Books

For the last year or so, I've been a member of a group called GAB or "Girls Altering Books."  Each participant chose a theme, and the organizers distributed blank pages (of heavy cardboard) in different shapes.  Each participant made one page for each theme.  The project is ending this month, and I thought I'd share some pages.  This is the page I made for my theme, "Micah's List." My theme comes from a bible passage. Micah's List is sometimes called a prescription for leading a good life:  "Do justice; love mercy; and walk humbly with God."









Here's the page I made for the theme, Movies.  My page is a tribute to the adventure movie, The Mummy.






These are are for the theme Pandora's Box.  The first one shows the "box" closed and the second shows the box open.

Here's a page with the theme "Vintage Women"


And, finally, for the theme, "Mirror Mirror," I affixed a mirrored tray and stamped an image of Frida Kahlo inside because she is the Queen of the Self Portrait:















Thanks for looking!

12 comments:

Amy said...

These are so good Rinda - I love how your art is themed and often is generated from a story or aspect of your life :-) We used to sing a hymn at school called "Micah's Theme" it was quite beautiful and a very gentle song.

Lizzie said...

Lovely Rinda! I like the Micah's List and Pandora's Box pages best. Interesting details in the layers...makes you think.
Do you send these back to GAB for binding together or do you keep them and make your own book for a souvenir?

Sian said...

So much to look at today Rinda! I couldn't choose a favourite although I did try. Maybe Frida Kahlo?

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Ooh, these are fun. I love the Pandora's box!

Cherry said...

What an amazing idea - so inspiring Rinda. Your pages are wonderful - love all the details and the way they tell stories - totally hooked on the narrative of creativity. What happens to them now? Do you each make a book?

Hugs Cherry XXX

cheryl said...

You are truly talented! I love the Vintage Women and the Micah theme in particular. Can anyone
join this group( Girls alter books)

humel said...

I love this idea! What amazing pages :-) Do please tell us more about the project - what happens to the pages now? Do you bind them yourself and keep them?

debs14 said...

Yours must be the most artistic blog that I follow, these are works of art Rinda!

Denise said...

This sounds like a great fun thing to do- I love the 'Pandora's Box' closed and open. Inspiring stuff Rinda x

Anonymous said...

What an interesting group! I love Pandora's Box, but they are all just wonderful.

Julie Shoemaker said...

Love your pages Rinda...looks like a great swap group.

Anonymous said...

those look GREAT!! i can't wait to see them done .. is it really next week??

Mariana