Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Path to Fitness: 5 Questions

My blog friend Amy asked if I would blog about my fitness routine, and I'm happy to oblige. 
1. Where am I now?  My one little word for 2011 is "health," and I started at the beginning of the year to focus on weight loss and fitness.  And now, half way through the year, I can say that I have lost 20 pounds. I can fit into all my work clothes again (I was down to one pair of work pants in January). I can run a mile in just over 8 minutes. And I can lift weights for an hour. I am getting back into shape, and I feel good.
2. How did I get here? Well,  in January, I started eating a little better and doing light exercise.  All I could really manage at that time was yoga and walking (usually for 20 minutes).  In February, I overcame my fear of the scale, saw that I weighed more than I ever had in my life and joined Weight Watchers on line. In March, I joined a gym and started doing 2-3 classes a week (yoga, weight lifting and conditioning). And, later that month, I started running. At the time, I could barely run/walk a mile, but that was a huge improvement.  In April, I started working out in a small group personal training setting.  Through it all, I've continued with Weight Watchers. 
3. What does my current fitness routine look like? I work out 6-7 days a week. Twice a week, I work out for an hour with a small group and a personal trainer.  That's Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:30-9:30. We do cardio (usually running) and then do intensive circuit training to build strength and burn more fat. I run on my own twice a week -I'm up to 5 kilometers (just over 3 miles). I usually do this on Saturday and Monday. I also continue to take yoga classes (1-2x a week - usually Wednesday and Sunday). Most weeks I'll either go for a long walk or take another weight training class on another day. I'm also continuing to do weight watchers. I'd like to lose another ten pounds by the end of the year [don't worry about me withering away - I can certainly lose that much (and even more) and still not be considered "thin."]
4. Doesn't this take a lot of time? Yes, it does. Counting the time it takes to get ready, drive to class and take class (or run) , cool down, shower and change, I'm devoting 1.5-2 hours per day to working out. It means that there's other things I don't have time for, but for me, this year at least, it's been worth it. I am doing a little less for my kids each day, but at 13 and 16, they can take on more responsibility. Especially if it means I'll be around when they are are 33 and 36 (or 43 and 46, etc.). I have made getting healthy and fit a priority, and I know it will be worth it in the long run. Which leads me to,
5. Why am I doing this? I'm doing this because I want to be healthy and strong for myself, my husband and my kids. I want to be active and vital and alive for a long time to come. I've always thought of myself as "fit" and have usually been the kind of mom woman who could go out and hike, play pick-up basketball, complete a local 5K, etc.  That's the kind of life I want to lead, and, to live that life, I need to journey down this path to fitness. 

12 comments:

Amy said...

Well thanks for this detailed look at what you have been doing - it is really about taking those first steps by the sound of things! It is amazing what you can fit into the day when something becomes a priority though ... I need to take a few steps in this direction too!

scrappyjacky said...

You really are taking this very seriously,Rinda...and doing so well.Amazing what you can do when you have a really good reason.
I really need to move in this direction as well.

Sian said...

You are fantastic Rinda! When you decide to do something you really work at it and I admire that very much.

Now I think I'll own up to the fact that I have never run a mile in my life

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic commitment you've made and kept! It's hard to give up that amount of time each day, but the rewards you're seeing must make it worth it. I've started walking with my husband nearly every morning for about 45 minutes-1 hour. It's amazing how many miles we've clocked this month. I'm so happy to be back at the fitness routine as well.

Beverly said...

You are doing fantastic with that OLW! Wishing you continued success in 2011 :)

Unknown said...

Well done on your keep fit campaign, you are doing brilliantly - maybe I should get a move on with mine!!

GlorV1 said...

Congratulations! Keep it up! I have to get back into exercising, I stopped and now I feel lousy. I'm proud of you. Take care.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Congratulations! You are doing wonderfully! I love the weight training classes at my gym. I feel strong after taking them

Irene said...

It takes a strong and dedicated person to accomplish all that you are doing to get healthy. I'm positive you will lose those extra pounds in no time.

nancy y said...

you're doing great! That is one fast mile... I run slow, I try to get faster, but still slow!

It does take a chunk of time to devote to working out, but so worth it in the end. I too want to be fit and healthy for a long, long time!

Carola Bartz said...

I have to agree with Nancy, that is one fast mile! I admire your discipline, honestly. However, I can totally understand why you're doing this. I've started serious exercising almost two and a half years ago (Jazzercise and still walking) and it does me so well. This darn surgery has put a temporary stop to all of it(but I've lost more than 5 pounds nevertheless), but as soon as everything is nicely healed I will be back to my exercise routine.

Maria@BubblegumandDuctTape said...

That's Great Rinda. Our health should be a priority and I'm so happy for you that you are succeeding at this and have already lost all that unwanted weight. I need to start my own program too, I think if I write it down, at least it will be the first step. Keep up the great work.