Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Catching My Breath

Sorry to have been a bit absent from blog land recently. It's just that I've been overwhelmed by the start of the semester, both in getting the kids ready but mostly in trying to get my professional life in order. I'm behind in several deadlines, but I've made progress this last week, which my boss and my students both appreciate!
In the meantime, here's a few random thoughts I've had:
*It is much easier and faster to create in the area of photography than mixed media, scrapbooking or card making. I have so many wonderful projects waiting for me on my art desk, but I just haven't been able to find the time to get to them.
*Arty things I definitely plan to do in the near future: my August 2011 Intentions, Resolutions and One Little World journals; Storytelling Sunday with Sian in a few days; Scrapbooking and Element ATC's at an upcoming weekend crop; continue with the Painting with Light photography class. Our first assignment was to do a silhouette. I captured the grape leaves up top when I was outside trying to figure out what to do for that one - it's not a silhouette, but I really like the airy feel of it.
*Arty things I'm Realizing Won't Get Done: There's really no way I will be able to keep up with Shimelle's Learn Something New Everyday, so I'm not even going to try to do anything official. I will read the prompts, though, and maybe they'll help me with my photography class and other projects.  I won't get any more canvases done for Dina's Out of the Journal Challenge before the end of the month, but I do have a few in progress, and I do want to finish  up what I started. 
*After six months of tracking my food, I have definitely changed my eating habits but I have lost motivation to write down what I eat. I've lost over 30 pounds this year and work out 4-5 times a week. I fit into all my work clothes and feel great. I can run a mile in about 8 minutes. I haven't tracked my food in about a month, and I haven't gained any weight. So, now I need to figure out what I am going to do. I'd kindof like to lose five more pounds, but I'm not sure I have the motivation to do it. And, truly, I feel like I've accomplished what I wanted to - to get back to the level of fitness at which I feel like myself again.
*I am over the moon excited about how well the Summertime Photography Scavenger Hunt has been going! It makes me so happy when I see posts with your entries. There's still a couple weeks left to complete it. The only one I'm missing is a beehive! As we near the end, you can begin to think about the easiest way to show me how you have completed the project.   Some people are doing photo collages; some people are putting together a snapfish or picassa album that they can refer me to; some people are planning to tag each of their blog entries which include scavenger hunt photos, so that I can simply page through them; some people are sending me emails with their photos attached. Think about what will work for you. I know  I originally said people should send me emails with photos, but I'm thinking that these other methods work just as well. I haven't heard of anyone who is completely done, but I know there are a lot of people who are close. Also, I definitely plan to do another one next summer and am considering a shorter (one month version with 8-10 items) to celebrate the new year.

13 comments:

Sian said...

Oh, I do like the sound of a New Year version! just the time to be looking at things with fresh eyes.

I think your fitness journey is an inspiration to us all Rinda. I really do.

Cheri said...

aren't we all just way to busy for our own good sometimes? my hardest thing is letting go of the things I know I can't get to. Wondering if LSNED will be on my "no can do" list as well.

debs14 said...

You have done amazingly well on the healthy eating and fitness regime Rinda and it sounds like you have broken any bad habits and this is now just second nature to you.
I love the thought of the new year scavanger hunt, this summer one has been fun and has made me walk around with my eyes wide open for a change! I know I won't tick them all off but I have enjoyed getting the ones I have!

Alison said...

You have indeed done really well with your fitness regime...and am glad to hear there are other Scavenger Hunts being planned!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

You've done brilliantly with the healthy lifestyle,Rinda....seems like it has just become second nature to you now....and that's great.
I've still got a long way to go with the scavenger hunt!!! But really like the idea of a New Year one.

Denise said...

I'm really enjoying seeing how everyone is managing to find your hunt items.I really thought some of them were 'unfindable' but I have been proved so wrong!

Anonymous said...

A huge well done on the weight loss and fitness.

I am hoping to snap a few more for the scavenger hunt at the weekend.

Anonymous said...

You've done really well this year! I've been working on losing 12 pounds that crept on over a period of years. I'm making great progress, but it sure isn't easy. We've just about moved to a totally whole foods diet which seems to help a lot.

I have five more photos to find for the scavenger hunt, but I haven't given up yet. Thanks to a comment you made here, I have an idea for LSN class which I might try after all.

Carola Bartz said...

Rinda, you've accomplished so much! I really admire you for that - and who cares about those five more pounds? If you feel good, fit and healthy you're fine! I love all the plans you have, you sound so lively to me it is a joy to read this. Maybe I'll even participate in the next scavenger hunt!

Irene said...

Congrats on eating healthy and accomplishing your goal. I am having fun participating in the scavenger hunt. Am glad to hear you are planning another one.

Ginger said...

I have enjoyed seeing the scavenger hunt photos on everyone's blog as well and look forward to your New Year hunt :)

Great job on the healthy lifestyle changes :) That is quite an accomplishemnt!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Congrats on accomplishing your lifestyle change goals!

I'm debating whether to let LSNED just go this year. I'll read the prompts but right now I'm just not seeing how I am going to get much done withit

Unknown said...

Well done on your eating and fitness goals. I still have a few photos to get for the scavenger hunt, must get a move on and try and get them.