Friday, May 18, 2012

Picks and Pans: Books, Classes, TV, Film, Products, etc.

I always love hearing about good books, TV shows, films, classes, etc. from my bloggy friends (or even things I should stay away from). So, I thought I'd open up comments this weekend asking you to share a recommendation or warning.  I'll try to gather them together and post a list next week. Here's a few from me:
Book - I just finished Stephen King's "11/22/63," and it was gripping enough to keep me up late into the night (and inspire today's art journal page). It's about a man who travels back in time to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy. It's not a scary, horror book, but it's compelling.  It could have used an editor (it really didn't need to be 1,000 pages), but it was still a fast read and raised lots of interesting questions.
Products - I love Dina Wakley's original release of stamps from Stampington (used in today's AJ page), and she just released some new ones! You can check them out here.  I also used Tim Holtz's Distress stains - I thought for sure I would fall in love with these, but I haven't yet . . .
Class - Cheryl Johnson is running her Beautiful People portraiture class again. I took it, and I loved it. You can register at this link.  My class review is here.
Movies - Last weekend Paul and I went to see Dark Shadows. I was pretty disappointed.  All the good, funny bits were in the previews. It never became either a full on comedy (like Austin Powers, for example, which is what I was expecting) or an exciting Sci Fi/ Fantasy movie (like Star Trek, for example) or a scary movie.  It will no doubt come out on video at Halloween time, and it would be an okay rental. But save your money and see something else at the theater!
TV Show - I have totally enjoyed Awake on U.S. television this season. Unfortunately, it was cancelled! It is sort of like Life on Mars, (which has both a U.S. and U.K. version). It's available on netflix or itunes if you want to check it out.  I also like the U.S. show Grimm, and it was actually renewed for next year!
Please share your thoughts on the good, the bad and the ugly! It's one of the best things about visiting blogland after all!

13 comments:

Amy said...

All the reviews I heard for Dark Shadows were terrible, sounds like it is a dud!

Lately I have been watching some repeat shows, BBC productions called Coast and Town, they have been fantastic and I'm really enjoying them.

becky ruppel said...

Big fan of Grimm and Once Upon a Time. I haven't seen a movie in awhile , but the last time I went for goofy fun and saw 21 Jump Street. I was hoping for fun with Dark Shadows but it sounds like I may be disappointed...

Unknown said...

Totally agree with Becky on Once Upon a Time - awesome show! It just ended for the season, but I think you can watch all the episodes online.

And if you don't have a copy of Eric Hutchinson's new CD, let me know because you need one in your life. I'll send you a copy if you want? :)

Elisa Choi said...

Love your painting makes me think of travel. I have a few recommendations for you.

Book: The Artist's way by Julia Cameron which focuses on artist recovery.
Aleph by Paulo Coelho: speaks so much about life and dreams and so much deeper.
I love books and I could say a lot more but so far these two are what I am reading the most.

Movie: Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Not sure which is first but these two movies are a must see. Romantic comedy. French setting. Paris! Not familiar with the artists though but they are good! I watch those several times!

TV show: One Tree Hill series is my most loved series. and currently I'm watching Hart of Dixie about a doctor who is trying to fit in. The actress name is Rachel Bilson. Love the series!

So there! I enjoyed reading yours. Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend!

Sian said...

It's really interesting that you say the KIng book needs an editor, becasue one of his big things in "On Writing" is tight writing. I might have to get hold of a copy now to see if he has been following his own suggestions

Alison said...

I have just finished 'The Hunger Games' and really enjoyed it..just about to order the sequels.
We saw 'The Avengers' whilst in Barcelona, and I enjoyed it more than I expected
Alison xx

helena said...

Rinda your art journal page at the top is hypnotic - the contrast between the stark figure and the warm coloured details of the sun are wonderful

I'm reading a great detective series set in Venice - nice mix of Italian life and crime detection - by Donna Leon

Cheri said...

great AJ page Rinda! We watched "One for the Money" and "Rampart" as Redbox rentals last night. One for the Money was good. I was smiling at the end. Rampart was awful. BORING. I can't believe I sat through the entire thing. Don't waste your $ on the rental!

I LOVE to read and could go on for pages with book reviews, but I'll spare you!

laurie said...

thanks for the reviews - i am always on the lookout for good ways to spend my time since it is impossible to use/see/read everything! i just finished a book, and she was, which i loved! it is about the aleutian islands and the women that have called it home.

The Mann Fam said...

I too enjoy recommendations and warnings. I watched the TV movie of Sundays at Tiffany's. Then while perusing the library audio books I found the book of the same title by James Patterson. Loved the book so much more and it made more sense in its original form of media. Skip the movie, read/listen to the book.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

The Avengers was great, but I love everything Joss Whedon does just about

Becky said...

Loving Alcatraz on tv and I've just finished reading the Hunger Games trilogy, which I couldn't put down!

Dina said...

Cool page! I need to read that book, it's on my list!