Thursday, August 29, 2013

PPF: My Life Long Journey (Passport to Art altered book)

This weekend is a long weekend here in the United States, and I'm committing to grabbing some creative time. First up: finish the Passport to Art altered book I've been working on. The spread up top commemorates a kayak/camping trip to Baja California.   The entire trip was fantastic, but the highlight was the night we got up and discovered bioluminescence in the water. We splashed and kicked and watched the water come to life with twinkling lights. To recreate the feeling, I painted black gesso onto a seascape page and then flicked gold and silver metallic paint on top. I added a piece of map from the region and a little sea nymph.
The other spread that I have completed talks about my life-long journey. The journaling reads "During my lifetime, I have traveled all over the world, but for "home," I traveled only 400 miles from Southern to Northern California. I lived in the same house in La Habra for 16 years and have been in our current home for almost 23 years." I was lucky to find a page in my book which actually had the small town where I grew up (La Habra) on one page and the San Francisco bay area on the facing page. I gesso'd and painted out the other areas, added some art dolls and other embellishments. I'm really happy to include this aspect of "travel" in my Passport to Art book. I think it's interesting that, although I am a world traveler, my tendency has been to find a Home and stay put.  It makes me wonder how far you have traveled geographically on your life-long journey? And do you move house often or tend to stay in one house for the majority of your life?
This weekend, besides finishing up my Passport to Art book, I will prepare a Faces Art Journal to use for Shimelle's Learn Something New Everyday class in September. 
Here on the blog, I'll  be hosting a linky for the 2013 Summertime Scavenger Hunt, so please stop by if you are participating.
***************************************************************************
Linking up with Paint Party Friday! Click on this link to see other painterly goodness.

19 comments:

Amy said...

When I've seen bioluminescence it has been absolutely magical - this is a fantastic page Rinda!

As for homes, well I grew up in the one small town but lived in three houses in the one street! Since moving away from home I have lived in several houses but we have been where we are now for 12 years and that's the record by a long shot. I'm not afraid of change or movement and sometimes I feel a bit stagnant in our present place, but the upshot is that we have some great friends and a real sense of community.

Missus Wookie said...

Bioluminescence is something I'd love to see. This house is the longest I've ever lived anywhere - including in the US. But we're looking forward to moving - where ever we end up.

helena said...

although I have lived on both sides of the world I have not moved house very often - during 20 years in NZ I lived in one house for 15 years and intend to be in my current house for at least that long

Anonymous said...

I've never seen bioluminescence but the pages look great.
I've only ever lived in the Toronto area - in 3 houses growing up but actually only in Toronto proper the first year of my life. I had 2 apartments in my single days and we've had 3 houses since we got married. This house is 1 year short of being the longest I've spent anywhere and today marks 27 years in it.

Sian said...

This is our third married house and I had lived in four other houses before that. I'm getting itchy feet here: I'd love to find another old house I like to fix up. I'd rather have old than new and we bought this new house for its closeness to everything the kids needed

Anonymous said...

Lovely spreads. Must have been so fun splashing in the biolumenscent water! xox

soulbrush said...

This is a huge endeavour. Well done. Happy PPF.

Ivy said...

Very nice! HPPF!

Linda Kunsman said...

wow Rinda that pg at the top is fantastic!!! What a magnificent thing to see. Good for you on getting your journal done too. PS I have some of those dolls too :)

GlorV1 said...

What a great idea Rinda. Love that life journey journal. We don't travel, we stay put.:) Love what you are doing, inspires me to start my own life journal. Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great weekend.

~*~Patty S said...

each of your pages is really wonderful Rinda...
you captured the bioluminescence so perfectly (we got to see some on a trip to PR last year)...
Like you I am a happy wanderer/traveler but have not moved house very often at all...
very interesting to notice that with your discussion...
thank you!
oxo

Anne Manda said...

Lovely pages, bioluminescence sounds wonderful! Happy PPF!

Rita said...

Great pages. I've never seen bioluminescence and can't wait for the day I do!

Happy PPF!
Rita

Unknown said...

Love your pages! I'm a "move a lot" kind of gal who would like to be a "stay put" gal. :) Happy PPF!
Heather Santos
Sparrows Journey Blog

Jen said...

I have never seen biolumniescence Rinda - but have seen the Northern lights, so I am thinking they may have a touch of the same magic? I love your pages - I have lived in my current home 12 years, before that I lived in 8 other homes - some with as a child, some as an adult. I enjoy travel for holidays - but am always glad to return to the place which feels like home. J x

alexa said...

I am another who has never seen bioluminescence - your striking page is proof of its specialness... You sound very organised in your preparations for your classes ... We've been in this house longer than anywhere else ( nearly 20 years) and are quite happy,

Lynn Cohen said...

Creative pages, like you I have traveled world wide, but live many years in same homes, the present one the longest these 25 years! And we must be neighbors if you are in the Bay Area! ;-)

Karen said...

I've never seen bioluminescence, but your page is beautiful! I'd love to see both the real thing and your interpretation of it IRL! I've traveled much farther for home, from Kansas to Ohio to New York and lived in many houses, but I've lived in this one for exactly 28 years this weekend.

Giggles said...

Beautiful pages...I have never seen bio-luminescence. I've owned five places in 40 years! I've been here fifteen years now and it's the longest I have lived in any house I owned!

Hugs Giggles